Tell Captain Buttons all about it....

Tell Captain Buttons all about it....
I'm your new best friend

Thursday, June 7, 2012

taking it socrateasy...

Hey there readers, here is a moany little missive I received from a beleaguered bookworm.



Hi Captain Buttons,
I am reading a book, a really good book about philosophy. The problem is that I can't really enjoy it, or more that I feel, each time as I flip the page, that I should stop. See, the problem is it's Sunday night and the work week starts tomorrow. There's so much to do - laundry, make the family dinner, and of course prepare for a room of inquisitive faces tomorrow. I am a teacher. I do feel there is much to learn from this book but it isn't going to teach me anything new about laundry, cooking or the subjects I need to cover in class tomorrow. I wish there was a way I could learn more about "life" instead of having to live it.
Looking forward to your reply,
Yours and one who is
Stuggling with the "greater good"

Dearest Struggles
Have you any idea how envious folk are of you?  You are reading a great book, a book you really like, and you have to keep putting it down to attend to the mundane.  So guess what...it's going to be an awfully long time til you get to that place when you've only a couple of pages left and you are panicking about finding the next book that will satisfy you as much.  I say that family of yours deserve a slap up three course meal tonight, and every night.  The socks as well as shirts should be ironed and tomorrow's lecture should blow the minds of every little brain in the class.  And this philiosphy isn't for just today, it's for everyday!  So give appropriate gratitude to those who are keeping you from turning those pages, do more for them instead of less and that way you may even be able to spin out these particular yarns of plato and co until your deathbed.  
Only having time to read one good book until you check out?
Price beyond measure.
Captain 'astern talking to' B.

nb.  If any readers have darning/roofing/babysitting/tax return preparation needs etc - let me know and I will pass Struggles' address on to you. 




No comments:

Post a Comment